The mission of NourishNC is to provide healthy food to hungry children, empowering them to succeed in the classroom and their community.
It all started in 2008
It all started in 2008 when a small group of concerned women discovered that children in their school were going hungry on weekends. These parents decided to take action and NourishNC was born. They funded a backpack program for 20 children at Carolina Beach Elementary School. News of the success spread quickly and we expanded to a middle school in 2009. With widespread interest in the program, NourishNC took the steps to became a 501(c)3 non-profit in 2010.
What We Do
The Backpack Program’s primary focus is to provide supplemental food assistance to chronically hungry children in New Hanover County. Our goal is to enhance children’s health and well-being by preventing the disastrous consequences of child hunger. We serve these children every weekend and across all school breaks. NourishNC accomplishes this in several ways:
- The Backpack Program: K-5 children receive 8 meals, 2 snacks and fresh produce (apples, oranges, sweet potatoes, avocado, etc.) every weekend. Backpacks are delivered to the schools where social workers or family counselors then discreetly put the food bags into the children’s backpacks. For all school breaks (Summer, Spring, holiday) NourishNC also provides all children on our program with at least 3 meals a day, healthy snacks, juice, milk and fresh produce. We call these “Break Boxes.” #onelesshungrychild
- Power Boxes: Pre-K, middle and high school students receive monthly boxes that are picked up at our warehouse, delivered to the Hemenway Center, delivered to the schools for pick up by parents, or delivered to the children’s homes by NourishNC. These boxes contain four weekends worth of food and fresh produce.For all school breaks (Summer, Spring, holiday) NourishNC also provides all children on our program with at least 3 meals a day, healthy snacks, juice, milk and fresh produce. We call these “Break Boxes.”
- Mobile Farmer’s MarKid: Our mobile “Farmers MarKID” is a direct and hands on approach to improving the health of children in our community. We take free fresh fruits and vegetables to wherever kids need us: parks, playgrounds, after school programs, high need schools, and other nonprofits. Just mix 1 part fresh food, 1 part education, 1 part fun! Watch a video here. #NNCFarmersMarKID #AHealthyHaven
- Our bags and boxes often contain “extras” like toiletries, winter hats and gloves, school supplies, healthy & easy recipes, holiday stockings stuffed with toys, and information on community resources.
- Our program is provided at no cost to our kids or their families.
- Children are enrolled in our program by school personnel (social workers, counselors, teachers, school nurses, etc)
- NourishNC has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with New Hanover County Board of Education that allows us to operate in all NHC schools
NourishNC’s FY2014 990
NourishNC’s FY2015 Audit
NourishNC’s FY2016 Impact Report
NourishNC’s FY2016 Review
2016-17 BOARD MEMBERS
- Emily Reiniche- Chair
- Elisha Talley-Roithner- Vice Chair
- Allison Farmer – Treasurer
- Nickie Ray- Secretary
- Jesica Blake
- Daneille Cooke
- David Howell
- Amy Kullberg
- Matthew Tackett
- Ray Worrell
- Shannon Thompson (Emeritus)
Physical Address: 601 Greenfield St., Wilmington, NC 28401
Mailing Address: PO Box 3235, Wilmington, NC 28406